Saturday, April 5, 2014

Step Right Up - Brassknuckle Lullabies Self Released April 2014

They like beer, they hate people, they kick ass! Step Right Up is a 3-Piece hardcore act out of Princeton, IL. Brasskunckle Lullabies has a heavy Leftover Crack influence to it and I see nothing wrong with that at all. Brandon Cartwright, Jeff Hanula, Eric Morris slip right into taking care of business with the first track titled Bullets. The song  begins with a chainsaw!!! How the fuck can you not love a song with a chainsaw intro? I submit that you can not! It is a fast paced track heavy on the bass drum and a guitar riff that I almost know from somewhere but can't quite put my finger on. The song ended while I was still digging on the chainsaw so I had to go back and listen to it again and that's when I noticed that these mother fuckers are throwing old school Metallica at me!  Track 2, Nervous Wreck, this song sees the speed of Bullets and raises it considerably. The third track, Death Tax is another all out assault on the drum kit with the bass line pushing my meters well beyond the red throughout the entire track. Nic is a Teen isn't sang so much as it's barked into the microphone, if the vocals in the first three tracks weren't aggressive enough for you this fourth track will hit you just right; at 4:14 it's the longest track on the EP. Typically songs over two and half minutes begin to bore me but Nic is a Teen held true and steady through to the end and leaves you kinda wanting a few more minutes with, maybe alone, in a dark corner while everyone else dances like fucking retards. The final track No Place to Live closes the EP on the same note it started on; fast, quick, and in your face.


I dig that these kids tossed old school metal riffs into their tracks without trying to be over the top about it - listen closely and you can pick out a few good ones, they are just played faster and angrier than you're probably used to hearing them played. Brasskunckle Lullabies is a solid fucking release with big, pissed off sound. Every track on it should get the kids jumping off the stage and hurling their bodies into one another. But, as always, don't just take my word for it. give it proper listen for yourself and make form your own opinions, but my guess is that you will download it and kick a buck or two toward the band in the process.

1 comment:

  1. Good hard rock band I like it better than I like people.

    ReplyDelete